Ginebra vaults back into Playoff contention, Phoenix ends losing run

Phoenix Fuel Masters 135 – GlobalPort Batang Pier 108

The loss of Jeff Chan ended up empowering the Phoenix Fuel Masters. They got big games from Eugene Phelps and Matthew Wright to end their four-game losing streak against the GlobalPort Batang Pier. Phelps finished with a monster triple double of 37 points, 23 rebounds and 10 assists. Wright waxed hot from the field with 24 points and six treys.

The Fuel Masters got the jump on the Batang Pier as they erupted for 41 points in the first quarter to take an early 19-point lead. That advantage is one they wouldn’t let go of the rest of the way. Wright and Phelps powered Phoenix to their first double-digit lead of the game when they teamed up to scored all the points in a 9-0 blast. Wright nailed back-to-back treys to end the first quarter giving the Fuel Masters a big lead.

Wright dazzled the rest of the way balancing his outside shooting with his slashing. Phelps showed off his all-around game as he dominated the paint and found a way to create for the rest of his team. Phelps gave the Fuel Masters their biggest lead of the game at 36 points with a free throw midway through the third period. He completed his triple-double with an assist on an RJ Jazul three-pointer near the end of the game.

Phoenix shot 55% from the field and 40% from three-point line, nailing 13 treys in the game. Besides Phelps and Wright, five other players scored at least nine points in the game. Jason Perkins and Jazul combined for 24 points off the bench. Phoenix and GlobalPort are now tied at 4-5.

Barangay Ginebra 134 – Columbian Dyip 107

Barangay Ginebra needed a big win to get back into the Quarterfinals picture. They got just that with great numbers across the board as they rocked the Columbian Dyip by 27 points. Ginebra shot 59% from the field and had six players in double figures. They had 39 assists with two players registering double-digit assist numbers.

The Dyip were the aggressors early in the game. John Fields scored on two straight buckets inside and Ronald Tubid added a three-pointer to give Columbian an eight-point lead. Justin Brownlee and Japeth Aguilar got Ginebra back in the game before the first period ended. The Barangay continued to roll Scottie Thompson, Sol Mercado and Kevin Ferrer all strung up baskets to extend Ginebra’s lead. The Dyip tried to give it one last push but they could only get as close as three points.

Ginebra used their size advantage with Greg Slaughter and Japeth Aguilar to rebuild their double-digit lead heading into halftime. In the third period, LA Tenorio and Mark Caguioa took over. Tenorio controlled the pace, while Caguioa added key baskets to keep Ginebra’s foot on the gas pedal. Ginebra just trampled all over Columbian from that point on. Brownlee’s breakaway dunk in the fourth period gave Ginebra a 30-point lead, their biggest of the game.

Brownlee led Ginebra with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Thompson had a triple-double with 12 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists. Aguilar and Ferrer had 19 and 18 respectively. Jeff Chan only had four points in his first game for Ginebra.