Elite finally net their first win, Beermen win their third straight game

Blackwater Elite 86 – Magnolia Hotshots 84

After seven straight failures, the Blackwater Elite finally get their first win of the conference. They got a clutch performance from Henry Walker to pull off the win over the Magnolia Hotshots.

The score was tied at 84 with eight seconds left in the game. Walker got the tough inbound pass near the sideline and handed the ball to John Pinto. Pinto immediately gave the ball back to Walker who was rolling to the basket from the top of the key. The high-scoring import barrelled his way to the rim. Mark Barroca tried to swipe at the ball, fouling Walker but it was too late. Walker was already rising for a one-handed jam over Rafi Reavis.

Walker missed the bonus free throw but he made up for it on the defensive end. The Hotshots had no timeouts left so they had to rush downcourt with only three seconds left on the clock. Jio Jalalon got the outlet pass from Curtis Kelly and tried to throw it down court. But Walker blocked the pass and completed the steal to secure the Elite’s first win.

The Hotshots started the game on fire. They got big buckets from PJ Simon and Barroca off the bench to build an eight point lead after the first quarter. They held on to that lead for most of the first half. The Hotshots offense ran dry in the second half as Blackwater teamed up to take the lead in the third quarter. Walker shot poorly hitting only 4 of his 16 attempts for 11 points. Poy Erram led the team with 19 points and 15 rebounds.

San Miguel Beermen 129 – Columbian Dyip 117

Don’t look now but the San Miguel Beermen are finally rolling in the Commissioner’s Cup. They got their third straight win with a double-digit beating of Columbian Dyip.

The Beermen scored 32 or more in three of the four quarter, including 38 points in the second quarter when they eventually pulled away from Columbian. The Dyip took a five-point lead early in the second quarter off an Eric Camson three-pointer. They continued to hold on to that lead until midway through the quarter. But the Beermen got their offense engaged from that point on. Arwind Santos, Chris Ross and June Mar Fajardo all teamed up to go on a 12-0 run as the Beermen took an 11-point lead. San Miguel continued their offensive attack to take a 14-point lead heading into halftime.

Columbian battled back as Carlo Lastimosa sparked a run with a 6-0 run by himself. They were able to take a three-point lead with 3:34 on Rashawn McCarthy free throws. Alex Cabagnot caught fire to end the third quarter as the Beermen took control of the game once again. Cabagnot scored 10 points to end the first quarter as he was aggressive getting to the rim and got to the line repeatedly. In the final period, Fajardo took over the game. He scored eight points in a 13-4 run as the Beermen took a 17-point lead and never looked back.

Fajardo was dominant against the undersized Dyip frontline. He scored 37 points on 71% shooting with 18 rebounds. Alex Cabagnot had a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Arwind Santos (18-11) and Renaldo Balkman (27-18) both had huge double-doubles.